The American Association of Railroad Superintendents (AARS) is pleased to announce the availability of annual scholarships for eligible college or university students enrolled at an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada.
To be eligible for consideration, an applicant must:
Amount of Scholarship Award - $1,000
- Be enrolled at the time of application as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited college or university. Preference will be given to those applicants enrolled in the transportation field and all applicants will be considered.
- Demonstrate successful completion of the previous year’s study by maintaining at least a 2.75 accumulated grade point average on a scale of 1 to 4 with an "A” equal to 4.
- Accumulate enough credits from accredited school(s) in time for the Fall Semester to have obtained at least a sophomore level standing at the college or university of enrollment.
Scholarship funds, awarded annually, are sent to the Financial Aid Office at each recipient’s institution at the beginning of the Fall Term of his/her second year of study.
Application Deadline - Applications accepted between March 1 and July 1, 2016. All materials, including references letters, must be postmarked by July 7, 2016 to be considered. The deadline is that all materials must be postmarked by July 7 in order to be accepted and considered.
Applications, transcripts, narrative and reference letters must be sent to the President of the AARS and postmarked no later than July 7, 2016
for consideration for the following Fall Term. Applications are available through the AARS web site, www.railroadsuperintendents.org
, or the AARS Office:
PO Box 200
La Fox, IL 60147
Phone (331) 643-3369.
To apply for the Frank J. Richter scholarship the following materials must be completed and submitted to the President of the AARS:
- A completed Application for Undergraduate/Graduate Scholarship Program form including the narrative requested in Section E of the Application. To view or print the Scholarship Application, Adobe Reader must be installed on your computer. Download Adobe Reader here. Get Adobe Reader!
- An official transcript from the school(s) attended, including work completed through May of the year application is made.
- Two letters of recommendation.
The application and narrative statement are to be submitted in one envelope. Arrange to have transcript(s) and letters of recommendation sent directly to AARS from the appropriate person.
Evaluation and Notification
The AARS Scholarship Committee will base its evaluation for awards on the materials submitted. Points will be assigned for the narrative, recommendations, activities and honors and the applicant’s overall abilities.
Candidates will be notified of the Committee’s decision by September 1st.